April is nationally recognized as Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM). The purpose of this month is to educate the campus community about sexual assault as well as to support victims and survivors of sexual assault.
Events for SAAM are organized by AVI as well as the SAVE Peer Educators. Depending on what resources are available each year, the events may vary. However, some notable events for SAAM usually include:
- Teal Lights in Alumni Grove have been strung in honor of Sexual Assault Awareness Month. As you walk under these lights, please honor all of those impacted by sexual assault and consider joining in the prevention effort.
- Teal Party is an event to promote Sexual Assault Awareness Month and the upcoming events. This event will have a cupcake and an iced tea giveaway, as well as provide students with information about how to properly get consent. Students will be encouraged to sign their initials on a banner to show their support for victims and survivors of sexual assault.
- The Day to End Rape Culture is an expo consisting of multiple tables/presentations by students, staff, and outside resources who are educating the TCNJ community about rape culture, power-based personal violence, and how it impacts students at TCNJ. Event attendees will learn the definition of rape culture and power-based personal violence, how to identify elements of rape culture in their daily lives, and will be given tools to address these issues.
- Love Letters to Survivors is a display of letters to victims and survivors of sexual assault to publicly celebrate survivorship and create an environment of support. Students in the community are encouraged to write letters that can be put on the display. All letters will be displayed throughout the week in the Library Lobby.
- WILL’s Take Back the Night is an event run by Women In Learning & Leadership (WILL) where students unite to reclaim their right to feel safe in all spaces and at all times. It allows victim, survivors, and allies to stand together in support of one another in a student-led march around campus. This procession is followed by a candlelight vigil and the opportunity for survivors to share their stories.
- TCNJ Unbreakable is a photography project aiming to give a voice to survivors of sexual assault. The display features photos of TCNJ survivors holding posters with quotes from their attackers as a way of breaking the silence and to promote their own healing.
The 2016 Sexual Assault Awareness Month: