Distract: Anything that distracts someone enough to discontinue the abusive behavior.
- Spill a drink
- Ask the abuser for directions
- Ask the victim to assist with a task
- Tell the abuser their car is being towed
Delegate: If you do not feel comfortable or safe intervening, delegate the intervention to someone else.
- Tell a trusted professor
- Let a bouncer know about the abuse
- Ask the host of the party to intervene
Direct: Directly address the abuse. You can either confront the potential victim or the person you think is about to abuse.
- Ask the victim if they are OK
- Tell the abuser it isn’t cool to talk to someone like that